Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Our "Green Food Tasting Party"


Roslyn was sad because her teacher had promised the class a “Green Food Tasting Party” today for St. Patrick’s Day, but there is no school. I recreated it here with the supplies we had on hand: cucumber slices, pickles, green apples, sugar cookies died green, and green smoothies. The smoothies were not very well received. I had to put less fruit and more spinach and kale to achieve the green color. They weren’t that good. 

The kids made leprechaun traps last night and were rewarded with some chocolate coins that fell out of the leprechaun’s bag when he struggled to get free from their traps.



We got our first school breakfast/lunch: dry cereal, milk, and dried fruit in a small bag and make your own cheese pizza, carrots, an apple, and chocolate milk in a cardboard tray. I promised the kids they could play on the playground, but it was all locked up.

I have a loose schedule for the kids. Carter made his own schedule, like I posted last week. However, it just isn’t going to work with all three kids. I had to make something a bit more simple. I have four rotations: reading, writing, worksheets from their teachers, and computer learning time. We do an activity in between: Outside playtime, a P.E. game, a video (Mo Willems and the Cincinnati Zoo), snack, and lunch. We also have to start out the day by getting dressed and doing jobs around the house. I worried this would be a fight, but it hasn’t been. They have been eager to help.

Carter threw a HUGE fit today (for about thirty minutes). He did not want to do schoolwork. He told me I was the only one making their kids do homeschool. Well, while he was writhing on the floor, a boy who lives down the street rang the doorbell. He asked if Carter could ride bikes. Carter came running over and asked him if his parents were making him do school at home. Of course! Then he told us all the things he did at his house. It was great to be vindicated.



I know we are not supposed to be getting together because we risk spreading the virus. However, I feel okay with Carter riding his bike in the street with the other boys. They aren’t able to get close enough on their bikes to catch airborne particles and they aren’t touching each other’s things. So, I told the boy he could come back in thirty minutes when Carter was done reading. I let the rest of the day’s work go. I must be flexible if I want this to work.

Very few people who were alive during the Flu epidemic of 1918 are still alive to tell about it. However, lots of people who lived through the Polio outbreak in the 50s are. The common theme I hear from them is fear. They still talk about how scary it was and how they hid inside so they wouldn’t get sick. I do not want my kids to remember this time in that way. I want my kids to come away with better hand washing skills, a knowledge that they could get really sick, and grandmas and grandpas could die if we do not protect them. However, I do not want them to live in fear or debilitating anxiety over this.





No comments:

Post a Comment