Wednesday, March 18, 2020

David is home


Teaching three kids at three different levels is challenging. I was blessed and cursed today that David was sent home form work.

The campus is now closed. He was told to stay home for four weeks. The college suspended in-person meetings last week, but now they aren’t allowing people on campus at all. They said they are going to delay the start of next quarter by one week and they are going to require all classes to be done online for the first three weeks of class. 

When David was hired on full-time three years ago, he spent the better part of three weeks getting all their book work online. He put quizzes and instructions up for each of nine or 10 classes. At the time, the other instructors didn’t care for it. They were slow to adopt it and still asked their students to do it all on paper and submit to them to grade. But as they saw the benefits for them, they acquiesced. Well, because of the work he did then, all the automotive instructors are still going to be paid during this shut down. The first three weeks of the quarter are spent doing the bookwork anyway – which the students can now do at home. We are fortunate because we will still get paid. So many people are not so lucky. Our economy is going to go into a real tailspin over this, and we are going to see things that we haven’t seen since the Great Depression.

So, David is home. Today, he was able to help the kids make their pencil boxes (Carter just wanted to finish, so he didn't put any stickers on his) and help with their schoolwork. I am spread really thin and it is hard to help them all at the same time. He taught Beckett about money, and Beckett caught on right away. He is a very quick learner.



But, we also clash a bit. I have a schedule with the kids, even before homeschooling. I am used to doing things a certain way. I am also used to talking everything out. He just doesn’t communicate with me as well as I’d like. So, I am happy to send him out to his shop to get his projects done!

But because he is home, I was able to run to the school one last time. I grabbed anything else the teachers left for the kids before they lock the doors for good this year. I know they have only called it until April 27th, but there is no way we’re going to get this virus squashed in six weeks.

I am still in school. I was worried that I was going to fall behind now that I am not able to work on my classwork during the day. However, the Lord has blessed me so much! I have not only not fell behind, but I have gotten ahead by a few days. I am so grateful to have maintained my A during this time. I don’t think I will sign up for classes next semester, but we’ll see how it goes.

I was supposed to go visit my Aunt Darla. I needed to interview her for one of my final projects. Unfortunately, she has health problems and my visit might end up killing her. I did the interview over the phone instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment