Monday, March 16, 2020

Shutting down but staying busy

The governor closed bars and restaurants, gyms, and movie theaters. He also dropped the number of people allowed at a social gathering from 250 to down to 50. The original ban cancelled all sporting events. Most sports just ended their season to avoid playing in empty stadiums or continually postponing games. No concerts or events (like Comic Con). It is getting real here. 

Today, the stock market also took a plunge. It dropped 12.94%. On 28 October 1929, our stock market fell 12.8%, triggering what is now known as the Great Depression. The 29th, it fell another 11.7%, dropping the total of 24.5% in 2 days. Let's pray we don't drop any more after today. That would be catastrophic right now. 



I took the kids back to the school to get Carter’s homework packet. I have been doing the copying for all of 4th grade – which is usually 400 – 600 pages a week. They had to scramble to make 6 weeks of that without me! I wish I had known, I would have gone in and done it while my kids played on the playground. Especially since I’m not copying all the homework for Kindergarten and 1st grade as well (which is never as many copies as 4th grade). The office manager, Pam, gave my kids a wood craft to build pencil boxes. David will do that with them sometime this week.

David’s classes were basically canceled last week. The college told the instructors to instruct remotely. The auto shop cannot teach students to work on their cars from home. This is going to be a tricky thing for us. He still had to go in to develop solutions – so for now we are still collecting a paycheck.

The libraries closed on Friday for the foreseeable future. I am pretty sad about that. I wish I had known it was coming. I would have gone and checked out a bunch of books and printed worksheets for the kids.

The Cincinnati Zoo is live streaming their Zookeeper Talks each day (7 days a week!). Today was their newest hippo, baby Fiona. My kids learned about baby Fiona in school, so they were very excited.



Mo Willems, the kids’ favorite author started “Lunch Doodles with Mo” today. It wasn’t as instructional as I was hoping, but the kids loved it. He just as a special way to talk to the kids. And, they follow along pretty good without being told exactly what to do.






There are so many free online resources for kids - I don't have time to do all the good things!

No comments:

Post a Comment