Monday, August 31, 2009

Subaru Show

Every year, there is a Subaru show. I think I mentioned it earlier. David has gone for quite a few years. I have been to the last two, but only stayed the night at last year's. We go, camp, and have a lot of fun. This year was no different. Except I didn't get a picture at the end like we did last year. David was great, even though he was part of the staff, he still checked on me often. He made sure I was not doing a lot of running around, and I stayed off my feet the whole time. I was getting ready to climb in the tent for the night when . . . GOOSH. My water broke. 10:10 PM. David threw everything in the car.

We headed out for the "nearest" hospital. I called our INS - because they make the decisions on where I go. They gave me the address to a hospital that was over 40 miles away. When I asked them why they sent me so far away, when there are closer hospitals, they told me they were contracted with that hospital. I asked if they were concerned about the safety of going so far out of the way. The "nurse" on the phone asked me if I had the urge to push. I did not. She asked me if I had body parts hanging out of me. I said no. She said I'd be fine.

On we went to a hospital just outside of Beaverton. They checked me out and admited me. They explained that we were 5 and a 1/2 weeks early and the baby would have to spend a week in the NICU at least. However, they could only keep me for 2 days and would have to send me home. I told them that I wanted to go home. I was not in labor, and I wanted to go home. The nurse said that was not a good idea. Later the doctor came in and explained to me that if anyone could go home, I would be a good candidate. She called my insurance and about 4 hours later they called her back. They agreed to send an ambulance out to take me home. I had THE greatest EMTs. Ben and Chad.

They were my buddies for 4 hours. They even offered to swing through the drive through at McDonalds if I was hungry. We ended up stopping at Starbucks so I could pee.

I rode by ambulance to just north of Seattle to Overlake. I am not in labor. However, they want me to stay here until I have this kid. I am willing to do that, as his chances are better the longer I am pregnant.

I never made it to the birthing class. I didn't have a bagged packed. My house is still a construction site. I haven't washed any of the baby's clothes yet. However, nothing I have will fit a baby this small anyway.

The plan was to do this naturally at a birthing center. Not going to happen now. I heard the lady down the hall screaming in agony. The nurse came in and told me THAT is what a natural child birth sounds like. I am back to where I began - wanting to not have this baby.


  1. WOW!! What an experience you guys have had already! Your at Overlake?!! You will love it there, they are great and that is where I had my 2. I will come visit you but will call first and will bring some movies and just hang out. I will look for some preemie clothes too! your the best and I know you can do anything...even labor (or c-section)

  2. WOW!Do you guys need anything? I'll look dor soone preemie cloths too. Just call if you need anything. Good luck

  3. Oh man, you are cracking me up with your description of the natural birth. I could never do that. I dilated to a 9 before the epidural was in, and couldn't scream because the contractions made me so sick I thought I would puke all over. But anyway, I am so sorry you have to sit around and wait in a hospital. Andrew was a month early and it's scary not knowing whether everything will be developed properly. Plus, I know exactly what it's like to have NOTHING ready for the baby. Not fun, for sure. You are in our prayers!