Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Fructose Malabsorbtion - Thank goodness not.

Our doctor sent us to the children's hospital for testing for a fructose malabsorbtion issue. His issues are very similar to the lactose malabsorbtion we already know he has. Daddy took the day off to come with us.

The test required that he fast for 10 hours. Then he had to drink a straight fructose drink. Every 30 minutes after that, he had to blow into a bag. They tested the levels of fructose in his breath. He did so well!! They were very impressed at his ability to sit in the waiting room for 3 hours with no food or new toys. They did not have a DVD player, or kid distractions at all. The day before his testing, a friend of mine expressed concern that we were going to be there for 3 hours without a movie. We don't watch movies at home, and I feel like I entertain him just fine during the day. However, I realized that I have more at my disposal at home that I would sitting in a hospital laboratory waiting room. So we took her offer of a DVD player. Thank goodness, because my toys got boring quickly.

Near the end they came out and told us his levels were getting really high, but had not quite hit the mark of diagnosis. They are only able to test for 3 hours, and we were getting pretty close to the end of our time. On the last test, his levels dropped down dramatically. It was a big relief to me, mostly because I wanted an accurate result. If they had not dropped, I would have wondered if we had just tried one more time, would they have hit the mark.


After the test, we thought we would treat him to a trip to the zoo. We passed by a playground near where we parked. The entire time we walked around, he was asking to go play on the playground. Silly kid.



You may be asking, "Why the drop in postings Lisa? You have been so active on your blog?". Well, I'm still struggling with our computer crash. David has not put everything back to normal. Every picture that I save to the computer could potentially be lost when he does that. So, I have been trying not to put anything on the computer. Which means very few pictures for you guys. Blog posts are just no fun without pictures. I can save pictures to blogger directly from my camera card, however, if they need to be rotated I am out of luck. So, I wait. Sorry to disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment