Monday, May 20, 2013

Stitches Update

Carter started out the day very embarrassed about his accident. I babysit, and the little girl asked about his large band-aid. He ran down the hall and locked himself in the office. When I broke in, he was crying. He said he didn't want to talk about it. I told him a lot of people were going to ask, and that if he didn't want to talk about it, he could say "I don't want to talk about it."

Then I asked if he wanted me to talk about it or not. He said he wanted me to tell the story. After a couple times of hearing me give a one sentence synopsis, that didn't make him look bad, he was much happier to tell the story - with no shame. 

It is so nice to have a kid who is so much like me. It is easier to help him because I already understand where he is coming from.

The hardest part was the changing of the band-aid. I had to pull off the old Band-aid, put medicine on it, and replace the large Band-aid. He was very resistant. I squirted some medicine on his fingers and let him squish it around, then I asked him what would make it fun. He wanted a Cars Band-aid. So, I had him peel and stick the Cars Band-Aid onto the monster of a Band-Aid. I then applied the medicine and the Band-Aid on his forehead. It went so much easier!!



Now, onto helping him cope with the removal. I have some fishing line we are going to practice cutting. I am hoping that will show him it is quick and painless.

No comments:

Post a Comment