Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where was I?

10 years ago today I had just finished a 2 day drive from Puyallup, Washington to Tucson, Arizona for my grandfather's funeral. I awoke to a phone call from my friend Ben telling me to turn on the news. No explanation, no response to my question of what channel, no more was spoken. I sat in disbelief as our country banded together as it fell apart. Grateful I had driven instead of flown, I was now unsure when I would be returning home. I wasn't sure where I would go from there. What would those families do, and how they would continue on?  I was drowning in thoughts of what would become of our country and how life would be changed as a result of this one day. I had been dating a guy in the military. He was stationed at Fort Lewis, although we had met on the cross country team in Tucson in high school. September 7, 2001 was the last time I ever spoke with him. 

Ben came over and we watched the empty sky for the first time in our lives. No planes flew overhead. It was eerily quiet. He had a job working on airplanes. His future was also unsure. 

Wow, to look back on the last 10 years. For those of us who didn't loose someone, all we have left is a little frustration at the airport, and a war. How am I going to educate my child about the events of September 11, 2001? How can he possibly comprehend? It is like people trying to explain to me about the day Kennedy was shot, or the space shuttle explosion. It just doesn't hit me as hard. 

As I read the comics today, I had time to reflect and to contemplate this task. It seems that the comics would be the place to start. Thank you Jeff Keane, Jim Borgman, Terry Libenson. . . :

No comments:

Post a Comment