Sunday, July 1, 2012

Follow the Prophet

Tonight our Family Home Evening was on following the prophet. Carter was very excited, and wanted to teach the lesson. With my guidance, he did a very good job. We learned that our prophet speaks for God, and gives us instructions (mostly to say we're sorry for bad things we've done). There have been lots of prophets throughout the world's history. The Bible is mostly compiled of the teachings of the prophets and apostles - Noah, Moses, Abraham, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John - and of course Jesus himself. We opened up the words of our current prophet Thomas S. Monson from the last General Conference. There is a picture of every general authority in the church, starting with the current prophet and his 12 apostles.



Carter was very quick to point out Thomas S. Monson, Henry B. Eyering, & Dieter F. Uchtdorf (How many of your 2 year olds can pronounce that name huh? I just had to boast a little there.). I was surprised when he started naming others from the 12 apostles: Boyd K. Packer, Russell M. Nelson, and my favorite "That's Tom" L. Tom Perry (He's was an attorney, so he can abbreviate his first name. They all do that right?)


Afterwards, we got into a discussion about husbands and wives. I tried to explain that I am not just a mommy - I am daddy's wife. Carter had a really hard time understanding this. I told him that before I was a mommy, I was just a lady. "Nooooooooo, Mommies can't be ladies." So, David tried to explain that mommy was just a girl. Nope. So, we skipped the before part and I said "I am Daddy's wife, and he is my husband." Carter responded with "And I am my sister". Nope. I still don't think he got it.

Then, he went on to explain "My Daddy has older boys who are tall. They say bad words and make bad choices. Daddy has two three year olds." I'm not sure where he gets this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment