Monday, March 19, 2012

Struggling with the S word

Yesterday Carter wanted to play with his Legos. I told him that was fine, but he needed to go and pick up his Potato Heads first. He got up and walked over to the couch. He sat down and muttered "Stupid Stupid Stupid" under his breath!!!! I was totally taken a back. I walked over to him and asked him what he said - because it was really soft, I wasn't sure. He repeated himself very softly, probably knowing that he was not supposed to say that word. Without any fanfare or attention to the word I said "You are right, that is a super idea, I'll help you clean them up"

I was hoping that was the end of it. After church he said it over and over and over again. I ignored it every time, hoping if I didn't pay any attention to it, it would go away. David finally walked over to him and told him we don't say that word. He told daddy that one of his friends used that word and named the friend!! I know that friend's mom was struggling to detour her son from using that word as well - but Carter hasn't seen that friend in weeks!!! Nor have we heard him say that word in months. He couldn't think of anywhere else he heard it. The memory on this kid blows me away.



Last week, Carter only needed to be taken out to potty 2 times at church!!! Yesterday, he went out 5 times, but peed every time.

We were on our way to a friend's house last night and Carter asked Daddy from the back seat "Can I borrow your knife please?" Can I borrow your knife!!?? Daddy asked him what for: "To cut this." Daddy said no. "Oh, can I borrow your flashlight?" Oh, okay. I see the trade off there. . . .

Carter and I do a craft for every holiday. Every time we do it, he is so excited, but he doesn't really want to help. I have NEVER gotten him to color anything, until now. This time I made Easter Eggs. I cut them out and stamped them. Sitting at the table trying to figure out what to do next, Carter came over and asked him he could color them. YES! He colored 32 Easter Eggs. It was hard to get him to color the back AND the front. He only wanted "Write Daddy's name" on the back side of all of them. Whatever works. We had a lot of fun coloring together. He did all the design, and I wrote his name on the back, next to Daddy's.



He has been so excited about the Easter Eggs. We went to visit Great-Grandma Bobbi again and gave her his St. Patrick's Day craft. He was frustrated that I hadn't brought the Easter Eggs too. He told her all about the Easter Egg he made for her, and how he wrote Daddy's name on it for her. Then he read her his new favorite book - which he brought in with him - Llama Llama Home With Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment