Friday, April 3, 2020

Double Funeral When Funerals are Banned

My kids have a problem with sugar. They scoop it right out of our counter top canisters – with a spoon! When the granular sugar was empty, they went for the powdered sugar! I hid the sugar in the pantry downstairs. They found it and ate it. FIVE POUNDS of it! On spoonful at a time. So, I stopped buying sugar. We just do without. Unfortunately, that meant my hummingbird feeders went dry. 


This week, I was trimming the plants on the back porch when a hummingbird fell out. He was dead and still clinging to the branch. I can’t help but feel a bit responsible. He was on the plant closest to the empty feeder. I should have taken it down at least. He expended his last burst of energy to make it to what he thought was food.


We had a funeral for him. Beckett and Roslyn collected flowers for his casket. Carter said the prayer. I said the eulogy. 




Carter decided we should have a double funeral – for the bird and for Vortex. I explained Vortex wasn’t dead yet. Carter insisted he was close enough to death; we should just mourn him now. We didn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment