Tuesday, June 17, 2014

8 months ago

8 months ago this week, I was sitting in a conference listening to a young woman tell the story of losing her mother. She talked about how close they were, and the cancer that took her. She wrote a song as a gift for the woman that was her rock and her best friend shortly before her death. Then, she sang it for us.

There was not a dry eye in the room.



As I heard her sing this song, a strong impression came to me that I was pregnant. With that revelation, came an assurance that this baby would be a girl. I had no reason to suspect I was pregnant, and certainly no reason to get my hopes up about a little girl.

The next day I went and bought a pregnancy test, which confirmed that it wasn't just crazy talk in my head.


As I look through my photos, I realize that I have not taken any with me yet. Part of that is because David went back to work before the week was up, and has been back ever since. There is nobody here to hold the camera. When I get some sleep, I tell myself. When I don't look so exhausted any more, then I'll force David to grab the camera.

I have always been really good about taking pictures of the boys, but I have very few pictures that include me. I am working on being better. I am working on taking more pictures with them, not just of them.

Please make the time to read this article. It has changed my perspective on taking pictures:


If you have time, this one also:


This song has more meaning to me since I read this article. This woman has so many pictures to remember her mom with. She treasures those. Don't cheat your kids by leaving them with no physical reminder of yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment