Monday, June 9, 2014

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice

We did indeed have a little girl! She was born at 9:41 on Sunday, June 1st. 

7 lbs 12 oz, 20 inches long.





She looks very different from the boys. I honestly was expecting a child that looked exactly like the boys, but somewhere in the middle as far as size. Most notably SHE HAS HAIR!

I was leading the music last Sunday at church, and then I took Beckett to his Sunday School class. When the little ones turn 18 months old, they can start to attend class. Until the end of their 3rd year, it is pretty simple - snacks, toys, lesson, singing, more toys. He is not yet 18 months, but they encourage you to bring them in a little early and stay with them so they are familiar with it.

I stepped out to get Beckett his gluten-free snacks, and my water broke. I had a change in the car, and I was headed that way anyway. I grabbed the snack, my little bag, and David. I sent him to class with the snack and I changed. I went to my class, and finished out church. 

At home, we had lunch and I waited for contractions to start.I had a couple other big gushes, but no contractions. I called the hospital to let them know I would be coming, but not for a while. They urged me to come in right away. I was afraid if I came in too soon, they would try to induce me. However, they said that the third and subsequent babies tend to come quicker. My labor with Carter lasted 6 hours and Beckett's only lasted 4. So, if traffic was bad, I might not have much time. David had already loaded the car and was waiting for me to agree to leave.

We loaded up the boys, took them to a friend's house, and headed to the hospital. When I got there, I still hadn't had any painful contractions. The doctor came in and told me that if I hadn't started labor by 6:30 the next morning, they would start giving me antibiotics to lessen the risk of infection. I was so relieved that she didn't mention induction. I was there for about an hour before contractions began on their own, and then 2 hours later she was born. The doctor didn't make it in time, and the nurse delivered her. She was born naturally, just like the boys. The healing process has been so much easier with a smaller baby. Beckett had/has such a large head that I was in sore shape for a LOT LONGER. 

I did hemorrhage after she was born. I lost a lot of blood. As opposed to the quiet room at her birth, there was quite a panic afterwards. There were 3 nurses and a doctor trying to stop the bleeding. They hooked me up to an IV (4 times, as the previous 3 didn't work), gave me pills, a shot, and other painful things. They acted as if I was going to die. Heck, maybe I was - but I was coherent enough to talk through it.

They kept me for 48 hours instead of 24 because I lost so much blood.

Glad to be home, but not at the same time. 

We'll keep you updated on a name.

No comments:

Post a Comment