Sunday, October 17, 2010

My Garden

This year I finally got to grow a garden. I have been trying for three years, and it has just not worked out. I did 98% of it by myself. I spent an entire afternoon in May weeding and shoveling a compost/fertilizer mix that David picked up for me . It looked like this:


I planted Peas, Carrots, Sweet Onions, Beans, Green Onions, more Sweet Onions, multiple varieties of Peppers, Potatoes, and Strawberries.

Most nights, I went out slug hunting with a toothpick:

David bought me a watering system for my birthday, and a Topsy Turvy for Strawberries for Mother's Day.




My garden produced about 18 Carrots (plus a plethora of mini, one-bite versions); lots of beans and peas; about 16 strawberries; 10 potatoes large enough to eat, 10 the size of a marble, and 2 rocks that we thought were potatoes; 10 Sweet Onions that have all molded in my basement; ZERO green onions; and the Peppers are still thinking. I have quite a few, but it is really past the season, and they are all still green. Mostly they are being eaten alive. Grrrrr.

On a side note, I also harvested 24 Asian Pears from the tree out back - nothing compared to what it produced last year.

My goal: to make baby food. He wouldn't eat the beans or peas, but he ate all the carrots. He was too young to eat the strawberries. We harvested the potatoes last night so it is too soon to tell. And the Onions, well those were a total loss.
But it was a lot of fun.

1 comment:

  1. It was a crummy year for gardening, for sure! My favorite thing you mentioned were the rocks--hope you didn't break a tooth!

    ReplyDelete